Nadia cooking up a storm with Casalare Premium Pasta Penne
Raywin baked those yummy Basco Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
Maxine from Coeliac Society volunteering her time to look after the Gluten Free tables during Coeliac Awareness Week
Casalare Premium Pasta Penne - Tastes great !!
Pacific Harvest - Louise always does such great tastings. Very innovative because she has such specialty sea vegetables
Fruit and Lemon Cup Cake
Oven 180oC (170oC if fan baked).
Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cups or spray with oil.
70g coconut oil or 100g butter/margarine
165g caster sugar
¼ tsp vanilla essence or vanilla from one pod
zest of 3 lemons/limes
2 eggs OR 4 tsp Spoilt For Choice EGG SUB
2 Tbsp milk alternative
½ cup apple puree, feijoa pulp or persimmon pulp (opt).
½ - 2/3 cup milk alternative
11/4 cups (200g) Spoilt For Choice Scone, Muffin and Cake Mix.
NB. If using fruit puree use ½ cup milk.
You may need extra liquid if using coconut oil
- Cream fat, sugar and vanilla essence until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in lemon zest
- Add eggs one at a time, (or blended Egg Sub and milk), beat well to combine
- Gently fold in flour and milk, alternatively to give a light soft mixture
- Using a large spoon, divide evenly into lined muffin tins – ¾ filled
- Bake approx. 18 minutes until golden brown and springy to touch
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack.
NB. Cover with a clean teatowel and allow to cool in muffin tin if not using paper cases, before turning out.
For a dessert serve with a warm lemon sauce made from lemon juice, sugar and water thickened with maize cornflour, potato or tapioca starch.
Store in air-tight container in a cool place. These freeze well without icing.
125g unsalted butter or margarine
2 cups icing sugar, sieved
1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- Cream butter until light and creamy in food processor
- Add sieved icing sugar gradually, beating continuously
- Add lemon juice gradually to required consistency
- Ice cup cakes when cool and decorate icing with items of choice.
Dutch Apple Pudding
OVEN 175oC BAKE 45-60 minutes
23 cm pie dish
100g dairy free margarine
½ lemon, grated zest
1 egg or 2 tsp EGG SUB and
2 Tbsp milk alternative or apple juice
1 ¼ cups flour – rice, tapioca, corn and/or potato
2 Tbsp milk alternative
1 tsp gluten free baking powder
1 large or 2 small cooking apples
1 Tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
Cream margarine and sugar well, add lemon zest.
Beat egg or EGG SUB and milk alternative/juice. Add to creamed mixture.
Sift dry ingredients, fold in to creamed mixture alternately with ‘milk’ , and combine to give a light sponge.
Spread mixture 1 cm thick in the greased pie dish.
Cover with sliced apples, arranged in rows and sprinkle with extra sugar and cinnamon.
Bake 45 to 60 minutes.
FREE FROM: WHEAT, DAIRY, SOY, (EGGS), CORN, YEAST, NUTS
DAIRY FREE CHEESE SPREAD
DAIRY, SOY, GLUTEN, WHEAT, EGG AND NUT FREE
2 Red, Orange or Yellow Peppers (sweet)
1 medium onion
4 cloves garlic
2 cups hot water
¾ cup sunflower seeds, ground or crushed
3 tsp salt
1 Tbsp paprika, (smoked opt.)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
4 Tbsp maize cornflour
3 Tbsp lemon juice
4-5 Tbsp yeast granules
- Steam peppers, peeled onion and garlic until soft.
- Cut up into small cubes – peppers should give about 1 cup.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into saucepan, add 1 cup water, and stir mixture until it boils and thickens,
- Keep in fridge up to a week, or freeze in ice cube trays and place in airtight containers or plastic bags.
Topping for pizzas, lasagne, pasta.
Dips with crackers.
Grilled on toast with tomatoes.
NB. Grate from frozen onto pizza etc
Chocolate or Carob Slice
NO WHEAT, GLUTEN, DAIRY, SOY, CORN, EGGS opt.
Oven 160◦C Bake 30 minutes
20 cm swiss roll tin
100 g dairy free margarine (soy and dairy free) *
¾ cup sugar
1 Tbsp ground linseed
2 Tbsp potato starch
1 Tbsp cocoa powder or carob powder
1 ½ cups mixed dried fruit eg. apricots, sultanas, ginger, prunes
2 Tbsp ground almonds
75 g gluten free flour eg. rice or tapioca
½ tsp gluten free baking powder #
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp marmalade
1 egg or 2 tsp Egg Sub blended with
2 Tbsp fruit juice or milk alternative
1. Melt the margarine, add the sugar and mix to dissolve.
2. Sift the flours, cocoa or carob and baking powder.
3. Add the chopped dried fruit, vanilla essence, marmalade and blended egg or Egg Sub mixture to the margarine/sugar mix.
4. Combine dry ingredients and almonds to above and mix lightly.
5. Pour into Swiss roll tin and bake 30 minutes.
* A good dairy and soy alternative is Palm Oil Shortening available from health food stores. It is 100% fat so reduce the amount of Palm Oil Shortening to 70g. Most margarines are 70% fat, and butter is about 81% fat.
# Gluten free baking powder comprises of
2 parts cream of tartar
1 part sodium bicarbonate
1 part starch eg. maize cornflour, tapioca starch, rice flour
The starch prevents the acid and the alkali from reacting and neutralising the raising properties.
100g Spoilt For Choice Fresh Fruit Muffin Mix
1 Tbsp soft brown sugar or 3-4 drops Stevia
2 Tbsp virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp pure vanilla essence
¼ cup milk of choice
1 cup fresh seasonal fruit of choice to cover base of pie dish
eg. tamarillos, apples, pears, blackberries, apricots, peaches.
- Cover an ovenproof pie dish with fruit of your choice.
- Place in heated oven for 10 minutes.
- Combine sugar/stevia with oil with a whisk to give a smooth consistency.
- Add egg, whisk well to combine.
- Add milk and vanilla essence, blend well.
- Add dry Fruit Muffin Mix and lightly mix to give a smooth batter.
- Pour mixture over hot fruit.
- Return to oven and bake 12-15 minutes. A skewer inserted into sponge should come out clean.
NO WHEAT, GLUTEN, SOY, CORN, NUTS, DAIRY
Ovenproof pie or shallow casserole dish.
Serve with custard, ice cream of choice, cream, yoghurt
NB. Use non dairy products for those with dairy allergies or intolerances
Carob or Chocolate Mousse
4 tsp EGG SUB
6 Tbsp water
1 cup Sugar
4 Tbsp dairy free margarine
120 ml milk alternative
1 tsp gelatine or agar agar
1 Tbsp carob or cocoa powder
3 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp vanilla essence or dark rum
- Whip ‘EGG SUB’ with water until frothy.
- Add sugar and mix until stiff.
- Melt margarine.
- Combine ‘milk’ and gelatine, add to warm margarine, stir to dissolve.
- Stir in carob powder, xanthan gum and vanilla essence (or rum).
- Add to EGG SUB and combine.
Pour into moulds and serve immediately or refrigerate
Egg Free Mayonnaise
1 tsp ‘EGG SUB’
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
½ tsp dry mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp sugar or honey
1/3 cup oil
- Whisk ‘EGG SUB’ with water until thick and peaks form.
- Add lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper and sugar and whisk until thick and smooth.
- Gradually add oil, whisking continuously as it thickens.
- Add more seasoning if necessary.
Makes approximately ¾ cup.
Lemon Pie Filling
2 Tbsp ‘EGG SUB’
6 Tbsp water
¼ cup sugar pinch salt
6 Tbsp water
6 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
3 Tbsp maize cornflour (or similar starch)
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
Combine ‘EGG SUB’ with water, whisk until thick.
Add sugar and salt and whisk, to combine.
Blend cornflour with water, add lemon juice and zest and add to above and whisk to combine.
Place in a heavy based saucepan and heat stirring constantly until thick and smooth.
Remove from heat and add butter or margarine, blend and allow to cool.
Pour into cooked 15cm pie shell or individual baked tartlets.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving
All the above Gluten Free Recipes Courtesy www.spoiltforchoice.co.nz
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup cooked brown rice or wild rice
2 tomatoes seeded & diced
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 cup chopped dried figs
1/2 cup chopped green onions or chives
3/4 cup re-hydrated Pacific Harvest Wakame
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp dark sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
3/4 cup toasted slivered almond or sunflower seeds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
In a large bowl, combine quinoa, rice, tomatoes, parsley, figs, onions and wakame.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, sesame oil, garlic, salt, cumin and coriander. Pour over grains and vegetables and toss. Refrigerate salad until cold. Sprinkle with nuts just before serving.